Apr 29, 2011

Yucca. Yum.

Yucca is a popular dish among the Puerto Rican and Cuban cultures. I had never heard of yucca until my husband introduced it to me. The only way I could describe it would be to say its like a potato but not. Yucca is a starchy vegetable that is high in vitamin c. The texture is something you need to get used to in order to really like this dish. It took me a couple of times before I enjoyed it, now I am addicted to it.

Ingredients:
4-5 pieces of frozen yucca
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1 small onion
5 cloves of garlic ( the more the merrier )

You start by boiling the frozen yucca in salted water. This should take about 30 min. Drain the yucca.



In a separate pot cook onions and garlic in a little bit of olive oil, add some salt and pepper. Cook for a minute or two until the garlic begins to smell yummy. Add a little more olive oil so that you have about a 1/4 cup total. Cook until heated thru. Important note: do not let the garlic burn, this will ruin the flavor.




 Now take the olive oil mix and pour on top of the yucca and enjoy. Remember you may not like this the first time you try it but give it a chance and I'm sure you will enjoy it.


Share

0 comments: